Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I need to quickly change my status from independent to dependent.

Made the stupid mistake of not double checking everything. I need to claim myself as dependent. I already turned in my application.
1 Reply
Level 9

I need to quickly change my status from independent to dependent.

You will need to wait to see if your return is accepted or rejected. If the return is rejected you are able to make changes to the return, fix the errors that are causing the rejection and re-file your return. 

If your return is accepted then you will need to file an amended return to change your status. You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.

Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them; they are processed as two separate returns.  
Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. Click here for the TurboTax FAQ on amending your return:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings