Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bmstepan

I need to change the address that I put on my amended tax return. How do I do this?

I will not be living at the address that I gave the IRS on my amended tax return.  Am I able to change my address before my tax refund arrives?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

I need to change the address that I put on my amended tax return. How do I do this?

There are two steps you need to take:

1. File a change of address form with the post office. You may need to go to your local post office to file that form, and bring a photo ID in case they ask for it.
  2. File Form 8822, Change of Address  with the IRS.

Neither one of these will change the address on your check, but it will greatly increase the likelihood that the check will find you.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

There are two steps you need to take:

1. File a change of address form with the post office. You may need to go to your local post office to file that form, and bring a photo ID in case they ask for it.
  2. File Form 8822, Change of Address  with the IRS.

Neither one of these will change the address on your check, but it will greatly increase the likelihood that the check will find you.

trentonh2020
Returning Member

Hello my name is trenton [PII removed] and I put the wrong address on my tax refund

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You can change your address with the IRS by filing Form 8822, Change of Address. 

Instructions can be found in the link below.

Change my address with IRS

You can also do it by referring to the following instructions from the IRS.

IRS methods to change your address

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
carole9
Returning Member

I changed my address at [removed].  My stimulus was sent back to IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies