Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to change my filing status from dependent to independent. I already received my return, and the website looks different than what the directions say to do.

The amend process does not show where I can change my status. Any ideas?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I need to change my filing status from dependent to independent. I already received my return, and the website looks different than what the directions say to do.

If you want to make changes or add a document to a tax return that has already been submitted, you should follow these guidelines. 

• You must first wait until the initial return is completely processed. 
  • You will have to use the same TurboTax account that you used for the original tax return. 
  • Once you begin your amendment, you'll see your original return.  
  • The refund calculator will start new at $0 and only reflect the changes in the refund or tax due 
  • Only make changes to the areas of your return that need amending. 
  • You have three years from the date you filed your return or two years after you paid the tax due (whichever is later) to file an amendment 

Select your product below and follow the instructions. 

Amend TurboTax Online 

Amend TurboTax CD/Download 

You will uncheck the box that says you can be claimed as a dependent. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have followed those steps but can’t seem to find that box to uncheck. Under “Your Info” there is only the question if I have dependents, but no option of my status.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This is what you are looking for, right after your social security number entry.

Yes, that is what I need to change, but my amend screen looks different than the example you provided. These are the only options I have to choose from to amend my personal information. 

IMG_6762.jpeg

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

It's the one or two screens after this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies