Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I need to amend my federal tax. I forgot to add a dependent.

1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

I need to amend my federal tax. I forgot to add a dependent.

If you already filed your federal return and it's been accepted, you can amend your 2016 return by following these steps:

  1. Sign back in to TurboTax and go to your Tax Timeline.  [See Screenshot #1, below.]
  2. In the section Some Things You Can Do (below the grey line), click on Amend (change) return. [Screenshot #2]
  3. On the screen, Are you sure you'd like to amend, click the box Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. On the screen, Have you already filed this return, click the Yes button and then click the button next to I need to amend my 2016 return and click Continue[Screenshot #3 ]
  5. On the screen, What do you need to change on your return, scroll down and click on the Update box next to the Personal Info & Dependents. [Screenshot #4]
  6. When on the Personal Info Summary, click on the box Add a dependent.  [Screenshot #5]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies