Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need help with an emergency bill. I got a bill from Illinois despite my W-2 for that filing year saying my primary residency was in Alabama.

My 1040 did not update to Alabama, TurboTax autofill'd the incorrect address that was not on my W2.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I need help with an emergency bill. I got a bill from Illinois despite my W-2 for that filing year saying my primary residency was in Alabama.

your address on the 1040 does not come from your W-2 but from the address you entered under My Info. Did you update it?  

Your w-2 address does not indicate to any tax authority that it's your state of primary residence. It's just a mailing address. many taxpayers have multiple residences.

also there are questions about the states where you earned income and additional questions about earning income in other states.  

maybe we can help if you tell us what it says or perhaps the notice contains information on how to dispute it. 

on the w-2 what state, if any, is indicated in box 15. if it's illinois (IL) then you failed to update your address with your employer. 

That state in box 15 is AL and I paid all my withholdings to AL. The only place it says the incorrect address is on the 1040. I don't have access/don't remember what I answered at that time when I filed because that was 2 years ago almost 2 years after I left IL. I do remember telling turbo tax I had moved as one of the automated questions when filing.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Can you clarify what the letter states and the reason for the demand of payment? If you had Alabama source income, taxes withheld on your W-2 for Alabama, and you filed an Alabama resident return, then you did not have to file an Illinois return. However, if you had Illinois source income, then you would need to file a nonresident return for Illinois. An address on the 1040 would not warrant a demand for payment letter from Illinois. Please explain further so we can assist you. 

@mschleckser 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

They said it was caused by information sent by the IRS. When I called the Illinois Revenue line they said it may be caused by the address on the 1040. I have submitted my W-2 with the correct Alabama address (the only W-2 I had that year) along with my 1040 and an explanation I had not been an Illinois resident since I left in 2019.

That should do it. But knowing illinois, they may ask for further proof like a copy of an Alabama Driver's license,

or other documentation to prove you were a resident of AL for the year in question.  Respond if requested.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies