turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need a copy of my 1040 for 2016 or a copy of my W2 so taxes can be redone

I had a company do my 2016 taxes turns out were not correct. Now all these years later they need to be corrected and mailed. any suggestions?
3 Replies
Level 15
Level 15

I need a copy of my 1040 for 2016 or a copy of my W2 so taxes can be redone

Do you expect that the correction will give you an additional refund, or will you owe more tax? It's too late to get an additional refund for 2016, so if that's what you were expecting, you should just do nothing.

If you owe more tax, you cannot "redo" your 2016 tax return. You have to file an amended return, Form 1040-X, to make the correction. You cannot do it with TurboTax. TurboTax no longer supports years earlier than 2019.

What was incorrect on the 2016 tax return that you filed? Why are you just now correcting it?

If the company that did your original 2016 tax return is still around, you might be able to get a copy from them. That would be the easiest way. If not, you can get a copy or a transcript from the IRS. See the following link on the IRS web site for more information.

Topic 156 - Copy of Your Tax Return – How to Get One

A Tax Return Transcript will list all the information from your tax return, but not in the format of the actual tax forms. A Wage and Income Transcript will list the information from your W-2, but does not include the state information. You can get a complete copy of your W-2 from the Social Security Administration. There is a fee of $126 for each year. See the following link.

How can I get a copy of my wage and tax statements (Form W-2)?

You could try asking the employer if they can give you a copy of your W-2 from 2016, but they might not be able to provide it from so long ago.


I need a copy of my 1040 for 2016 or a copy of my W2 so taxes can be redone

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/


Start the 2022 online tax return by entering some personal information then click on Tax Home on the left side of the screen.


On the Tax Home webpage -

Scroll down to the section Your tax returns & documents.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)


If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.


You can get a free Wage and Income transcript from the IRS - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

For a fee of $43 you can get a complete federal tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf


TurboTax does not have a copy of the W-2 or Form 1099.
It would have a Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement that included the tax data from the forms that were entered.
The forms would be included in the PDF of the tax return in the tax year the return was completed.

Copies of a Form 1099 would have to obtained from the issuer of the form.


If you cannot obtain the W-2 from your employer, then for a fee you can get a complete copy of a W-2 from the Social Security Administration - https://faq.ssa.gov/en-us/Topic/article/KA-02501

I need a copy of my 1040 for 2016 or a copy of my W2 so taxes can be redone

Why do you think it has to be redone?

Lots of tax returns are filed incorrectly.


If you are looking for a refund, it is too late to get a refund.

If you owe more tax, IRS will be expecting a check and will bill you seven years interest.




Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies