Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nickam95

I mailed my federal tax return over a month ago and have not received any sort of update, what should I do now?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I mailed my federal tax return over a month ago and have not received any sort of update, what should I do now?

@nickam95   wrote:  "I mailed my federal tax return over a month ago and have not received any sort of update, what should I do now?"

I'll assume you physically printed, signed, dated, and mailed the return.   TurboTax does not mail it for you.

For a mailed return, and if you are due a Federal refund, the only update you will receive is at the IRS site when the IRS finally pulls it and opens it up for processing.   That normally takes at least 4 weeks from the time it was mailed.   That's when it should appear in the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool.   Processing can then take from a couple weeks to several weeks, depending on the items in the return.  If you are due a Federal refund, you can try now, but it may or may not show up yet.

https://www.irs.gov/wheres-my-refund

Here are some tips when using the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool:

• If you efiled, be sure you have waited at least 24 hours after acceptance before using the IRS WMR tool.   If you mailed a paper return, it won't show up in the tool for at least 4 weeks or longer.
  • Be sure you enter the correct tax year, SSN and filing status.
  • Be sure you are using only the Federal refund amount.   Do not include any state refund or any total refund or net refund (Fed and State) that TurboTax may have provided on a screen.  
  • Look at your actual Federal return to get the Federal refund amount, i.e., your Form 1040, Line 35a.

Addendum:

You didn't say if you are expecting a Federal refund, or if you owed taxes due.  If you are not getting a Federal refund, then, of course, you won't be able to use that IRS WMR tool.

Also, if you have a state return and expect a refund:

FAQ:  How do I track my state refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-state-refund/00/25571

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies