Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

smwebb619

I'm unable to change dependent from 1 to zero?

I want to amend my number of dependent from 1 to zero
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You will have to delete the dependent in the My Info section of the program.

If you have already filed your 2023 federal tax return and it has been accepted by the IRS, then you will have to amend the tax return to make any changes.

If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 20 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a current year tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Please clarify what you are trying to do. On your federal tax return you enter information about each dependent, but you do not enter the number of dependents anywhere. What exactly are you trying to change from 1 to zero? Is it in your federal tax return or a state tax return? If it's a state tax return, what state? Are you talking about the number of dependents for adjusting your withholding for 2024 or estimating your 2024 tax? And what is stopping you from changing it?

Did you already file the tax return that you want to change? The word "amend" has a very specific meanings in relation to taxes. It does not mean making changes or adjustments to your entries in TurboTax. It means filing a special type of tax return to make changes to a return that you already filed previously. Is that what you are trying to do?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies