Solved: I'm trying to see if I messed up on my taxes. I filed separate from my husband but it asked for his ss# & name. I don't no if I messed up

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm trying to see if I messed up on my taxes. I filed separate from my husband but it asked for his ss# & name. I don't no if I messed up

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 7

I'm trying to see if I messed up on my taxes. I filed separate from my husband but it asked for his ss# & name. I don't no if I messed up

You didn't mess up, except possibly by deciding to file separately to begin with (in most cases it's best to file jointly). Even on separate returns, the IRS needs the name & SSN of your spouse in order to apply certain special rules for separate returns, especially in community property states (where most income must be split 50-50 between spouses even on separate returns).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 7

You didn't mess up, except possibly by deciding to file separately to begin with (in most cases it's best to file jointly). Even on separate returns, the IRS needs the name & SSN of your spouse in order to apply certain special rules for separate returns, especially in community property states (where most income must be split 50-50 between spouses even on separate returns).

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings