turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Scwilson4

I'm trying to see if I messed up on my taxes. I filed separate from my husband but it asked for his ss# & name. I don't no if I messed up

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm trying to see if I messed up on my taxes. I filed separate from my husband but it asked for his ss# & name. I don't no if I messed up

You didn't mess up, except possibly by deciding to file separately to begin with (in most cases it's best to file jointly). Even on separate returns, the IRS needs the name & SSN of your spouse in order to apply certain special rules for separate returns, especially in community property states (where most income must be split 50-50 between spouses even on separate returns).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You didn't mess up, except possibly by deciding to file separately to begin with (in most cases it's best to file jointly). Even on separate returns, the IRS needs the name & SSN of your spouse in order to apply certain special rules for separate returns, especially in community property states (where most income must be split 50-50 between spouses even on separate returns).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies