Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hjkm
Level 1

I'm ready to mail an amended state tax return but realized it'll get processed faster if I do it online. Is it okay if I just don't mail my printed documents

I'm ready to mail an amended state tax return but realized it'll get processed faster if I do it online. Is it okay if I just don't mail my printed documents and wait for the online feature? It says I'll be able to file an amended tax return online starting next week. 

Another thing I'm worried about is that, on my TurboTax dashboard, the status for my state tax return says 'ready to mail (the amended tax return docs).' So I'm worried that me filing an amended tax return online will mess up the system. If anyone has gone through the same situation, please help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I'm ready to mail an amended state tax return but realized it'll get processed faster if I do it online. Is it okay if I just don't mail my printed documents

What year?  I don't think the 2023 Amended returns are yet.  I believe it says 2/15.  And you may have to mail prior year returns.  And you can't amend 2023 until the IRS or state has processed the original return and you got the first refund or paid the tax due.

If you switch to efile from mail it won't mess up your return or account.  It says ready to mail because the forms aren't ready yet to efile.

hjkm
Level 1

Hi and thank you for your comment! I was trying to file it for 2023 and yes it says the e-file is available from 2/15. I'm also glad to hear that it won't mess up the system. However I'm a little confused on that note about not being able to amend 2023 until the IRS/state has processed the original return... does this mean I have to pay the tax due or get the first refund to be able to process the amends?

What happened is that I live and work in different states. This year I forgot to file for a non-resident return and didn't claim the credits for the double-taxed situation, resulting in me owning estimated taxes to my resident state. So I was planning to mail an amended tax return to my resident state, but paper files usually take at least 12 weeks to process and only 3-4 weeks for e-files.

Does this mean I'll have to pay whatever I owe to my resident state first to process the change? Even if the payment is due in April? Sorry about the long paragraphs. First time making mistakes and god it's so complicated to fix it!

hjkm
Level 1

oh wait nvm, I think I scheduled payment this week not in April. Just checked there was a withdrawal from my account. Now I can just apply for a refund and wait for it?

If you scheduled a payment  of X  is it because 1040 says amount you owe is X?

or 1040-X says amount you owe is X ?

any amount you already paid before 1040-X does its arithmetic should be on 1040-X Line 16.

IRS: says

processing of e-Filed and mailed amenments is the same.

It's just that e-File is much more convenient and less error-prone.

@hjkm 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies