Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

stolzmo

I'm amending my fed and state retur, but have not yet rec'd federal refund (it's been 8 weeks). Is there a way to mail out an amended state return now and file fed later?

I missed a 1099 that showed up after I filed. I'm 8 weeks past filing (and acceptance) and haven't gotten my federal refund yet (I owed money on my state return). With the amended returns I owe money on both state and fed.

Internet advice says you shouldn't file an amended federal until you get your federal refund. Can I file the amended state return now and file the federal one later? If so - how? I can't skip the "How would you like to pay your federal taxes" page and go to just paying state. I don't want to choose a direct debit date for federal tax payment because I don't know when I'll get my federal return. I also don't really want to pay by check as it's less secure than paying via direct debit.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

I'm amending my fed and state retur, but have not yet rec'd federal refund (it's been 8 weeks). Is there a way to mail out an amended state return now and file fed later?

You can amend your state return without filing an amendment for your federal return, however, both should be filed at the same time to ensure you don't have to amend state again later if federal amendment differs. Please visit the TurboTax Help article below for more information on how to amend your state return.

I need to amend my state return - TurboTax

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies