turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m a first timer. My e-file return was accepted on the 28th of February and I have not yet received it. I called the irs about 2 weeks ago and they said “,It is still being processed and I

It’s been longer than 21 days
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I’m a first timer. My e-file return was accepted on the 28th of February and I have not yet received it. I called the irs about 2 weeks ago and they said “,It is still being processed and I

The IRS says they pay 9 out of 10 refunds within 21 days. That means that one out of every ten, or 10%, take longer than 21 days. Obviously you are among the 1 out of 10 that takes longer. If the IRS didn't say that there was any particular problem, or that they need more information from you, then all you can do is wait. It happens, and it's not all that rare. It's one out of every ten.

If it's any consolation, when they eventually pay your refund they will pay you interest on it, since they took more than 45 days to pay it. Of course the interest is taxable income, just like interest from a bank account. You will have to report it as income next year on your 2019 tax return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The IRS says they pay 9 out of 10 refunds within 21 days. That means that one out of every ten, or 10%, take longer than 21 days. Obviously you are among the 1 out of 10 that takes longer. If the IRS didn't say that there was any particular problem, or that they need more information from you, then all you can do is wait. It happens, and it's not all that rare. It's one out of every ten.

If it's any consolation, when they eventually pay your refund they will pay you interest on it, since they took more than 45 days to pay it. Of course the interest is taxable income, just like interest from a bank account. You will have to report it as income next year on your 2019 tax return.

You have confirmed IRS has your return and is working on it. That's what counts.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies