Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I inherited some money in 2019, and bought a house with a good chunk of the money also in 2019. Should I amend my 2019 return so that my taxes owed are much less?

I didnt say that i used the inherited money when i filed.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I inherited some money in 2019, and bought a house with a good chunk of the money also in 2019. Should I amend my 2019 return so that my taxes owed are much less?

I'm not sure what you want to do, but I'll try to help.

• No, you do not have to amend the 2019 tax return.
  • There is no tax on the inherited money.
  • I don't see any tax deduction that you could take for 2019, but it doesn't matter because 
  • The IRS only allows 3 years to file an amended return for a refund, and that time has passed.
  • The down payment does not come into play in the sale of the house.
  • It is based on the selling price and the purchase price, adjusted for improvements.

I'm not sure if that answered your question.

Feel free to contact us again with any other questions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did owe taxes on the inheritance, “$36,000”. 
I know there is a 3 year limit after filing or after paying it off. I’m still paying monthly. 
I put about 52k down to buy a house with the inheritance. The initial inheritance was $250k but most of it was eaten up by debts and medical bills. 

Did you get any tax forms for the inherited money?  Like a 1099R or any kind of 1099 or a K-1?    Or was it cash like from bank accounts?  If you got a 1099R with your ssn on it, it was taxable to you.  

Yes got 2099R. Just didn’t know if I would have made a difference since I went from one investment to the investment of a house. It was my primary home. 

Sorry no.  It doesn't matter what you did with the money.  Even if you put it in another investment like stocks or mutual funds it would still be taxable.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies