Solved: I have been assisting my dad with his turbo tax filings for several years, he just passed away and hadn't filed his turbo tax file. How can I submit for him?

I have been assisting my dad with his turbo tax filings for several years, he just passed away and hadn't filed his turbo tax file. How can I submit for him?

I do not use turbo tax for my own taxes but have purchased and assisted my dad in filing his taxes for the past decade.  We had started his return but then he got ill and recently passed away.  Can I complete his return as if he is filing and submit for him, or is there a way to complete a return for him in which I state I have prepared for him?

I am very sorry to learn about your father's death.  Yes, you can continue to complete his return as if he is filing.  In the program, you would check the box to tell IRS about his passing. 

• Open up your program if you have not done so
  • From above, select tab Personal Info
  • On the screen, Your Personal Info Summary, under your father's name, select Edit
  • Follow prompts to enter his info
  • Next screen, Do Any of These Apply to Dad? select Passed away before filing this return.  See the attached screenshot.
  • Follow prompts to complete.

If the return generates a tax refund, you can file a Form 1310 Statement of Person Claiming Refund to claim it.  Follow the on-screen instructions to file that form.  If you are not directed to it, in the program, at the right upper corner, type Form 1310 and click the "Jump to" link. This will take you to the Complete a Claim for Refund screen. Answer Yes and follow the onscreen instructions.

• From above, select tab Personal Info
  • Follow prompts to enter his info
  • Follow prompts to complete.