Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I have already filed how do i add form 8880

I have already submitted my tax form and it has been accepted.  I did not file the 8880 form. Can I still do that?

1 Reply
Intuit Alumni

I have already filed how do i add form 8880

Since you have already submitted your return, you cannot add the form to your tax return.

You have two options: 

If your return got rejected for whatever reasons, you can return to the program/account to add the Form 8880 along with other changes.  You do not need an amendment 1040-X.

If your return has been accepted, please see the following :

You will have to amend your return by filing a Form 1040X.  You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.

Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them;  they are processed as two separate returns.  

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed, you will have to mail a check with the return. 

TurboTax Online has not yet opened up the amendment process for 2017.   Please come back soon!


Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings