Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I got an energy tax credit that took my tax to zero plus carry-forward. I need to amend my tax return. In Turbotax, how do I apply the tax credit instead sending money?

The solar energy credit for 2023 was nearly $9k, with about $6k carried over. My 2023 amendment requires $100 payment. I should be able to use the tax credit for this.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I got an energy tax credit that took my tax to zero plus carry-forward. I need to amend my tax return. In Turbotax, how do I apply the tax credit instead sending money?

If you still have a energy credit available to use, it should be reflected on your 1040X and offset any federal taxes due.  You should see this amount on Line 7 of Form 1040X.  

If you are not seeing an amount here to offset the tax due, you may need to revisit the Home Energy Credit to ensure it pulls into your amended return.  Please see this link for more guidance to direct you.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the info. It helped me find my mistake. Because I was filing an amendment, I had already received my refund in cash. The amendment increased the taxes due (reduced the refund), so I had to replace the difference in kind.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies