Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

conbene

I got an amended 1099-R from my pension fund today and I have already filed my taxes. What is the threshhold amount allowed befor it is necessary to file an amendment?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I got an amended 1099-R from my pension fund today and I have already filed my taxes. What is the threshhold amount allowed befor it is necessary to file an amendment?

There is not a floor on the amount of income from a pension that you are not required to report on your tax return. As a practical matter, if you report the wrong income and the IRS becomes aware of it, they would normally send you an invoice for the additional tax due plus interest and penalty when they become aware of the discrepancy, and if it is sufficient in amount for them to bother with. There is not a set dollar amount for what they might be concerned about though. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

what changed and how much? 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

You must make every effort to include all income in your tax return.  

• However, your tax return must be "substantially correct".  
  • The IRS defines this as: "For individuals, a substantial understatement of tax applies if you understate your tax liability by 10% of the tax required to be shown on your tax return or $5,000, whichever is greater."

Also See:

@Mike9241 was correct in asking what changed and how much? 

conbene

I received a second 1099R from the pension fund that was for $1200. more and tax withholding was $280.  

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

As previously stated, there is no threshold amount.

If entering the corrected form in place of the old one results in tax due, you will need to amend the return, however you need to wait until the original has been processed. There is a chance the IRS will correct the return in which case they will send a letter notifying you of the change and asking if you agree. 

If the change results in tax, make sure that additional tax is paid by April 15th. 

HERE is a link about making a payment without a return in case you need to pay before amending. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies