turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I forgot to take my RMD for 2016 and it has been taken out in 2017 but that will go on my 2017 tax return, however I need a letter of forgiveness. how do I go about that

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ToddL

I forgot to take my RMD for 2016 and it has been taken out in 2017 but that will go on my 2017 tax return, however I need a letter of forgiveness. how do I go about that

You can and should need to amend you r 2016 tax return and file Form 5329 to calculate the excise tax. 

Follow the instructions in How to Amend (Change or Correct) a Return You Already Filed.

If you missed the deadline due to a reasonable cause, you may ask the IRS to waive the 50% excise tax. The request for waiver may be included in a letter of explanation, which you attach to your tax return (Form 1040X) along with your Form 5329. When requesting a waiver, do not pay the excess accumulation penalty up front. Instead, follow the instructions for requesting a waiver in the Instructions for Form 5329. If the IRS does not honor your waiver request, you will be notified.

The amended tax return and the attached waiver request must be filed by mail.

Instructions for Form 5329: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i5329.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies