turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I forgot to claim 2 1098 e forms. My Federal was accepted. Do I have to claim these 1098e’s or just take the loss? Or will the IRS/Government be expecting them?

I don’t want to be audited and am willing to take the loss. I have never filed an amended return. If I file an amended federal does that mean an amended state in addition?? This is why I am willing to take the loss. Please help!!! Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I forgot to claim 2 1098 e forms. My Federal was accepted. Do I have to claim these 1098e’s or just take the loss? Or will the IRS/Government be expecting them?

You are not required to file form 1098-E to claim the student loan interest deduction. If you do not file that form, you will simply lose the benefit of that deduction. You will not be audited for this.

In case you wish to claim, if your tax return is rejected, you can add those Form 1098-E, correct any other errors on the return and resubmit it.

If it is accepted, you will need to amend your return to include the Forms 1098-E.

Amending won't delay your original refund. However, if you're amending to claim more money, the IRS says to wait until you've received your original refund before filing an amendment. Once you've received your original refund, feel free to cash or spend it while your amendment gets processed

Please be aware that Form 1040X will not be available in TurboTax until February 18, 2021, but once it is available, you will be able to prepare and e-file your amended return.

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for instructions on how to amend your tax return in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

You are not required to file form 1098-E to claim the student loan interest deduction. If you do not file that form, you will simply lose the benefit of that deduction. You will not be audited for this.

In case you wish to claim, if your tax return is rejected, you can add those Form 1098-E, correct any other errors on the return and resubmit it.

If it is accepted, you will need to amend your return to include the Forms 1098-E.

Amending won't delay your original refund. However, if you're amending to claim more money, the IRS says to wait until you've received your original refund before filing an amendment. Once you've received your original refund, feel free to cash or spend it while your amendment gets processed

Please be aware that Form 1040X will not be available in TurboTax until February 18, 2021, but once it is available, you will be able to prepare and e-file your amended return.

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for instructions on how to amend your tax return in TurboTax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!! I appreciate your help!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies