Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my taxes and did the credit recovery for my 2nd stimulus, I received my 2nd stimulus direct deposit today. How do I take it off my tax returns

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

I filed my taxes and did the credit recovery for my 2nd stimulus, I received my 2nd stimulus direct deposit today. How do I take it off my tax returns

You don't need to do anything. The IRS knows what payments they sent you, so they will adjust your tax return accordingly and reduce your refund if necessary.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you did not receive your first and/or second stimulus payment or if the amount received is not correct, you can claim it on your 2020 tax return as the Recovery Rebate Credit.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.
maieraf

I did the same. They sent to an incorrect bank account and from what I read on the irs.gov website, I was supposed to claim the credit recovery on my taxes. Now, I received the second stimulus in the mail. I already filed and cannot change my taxes. 

I hope someone has an answer for this soon. 

Im not sure, but I think they might just reject the refund and you’d just have to redo it if that is the case. Another possibility is it would be taken back on next years taxes. All i know is uncle sam accounts for his money

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You don't need to do anything. The IRS knows what payments they sent you, so they will adjust your tax return accordingly and reduce your refund if necessary.

I was told IRS knows and will adjust it 

Once you file your tax return, it is the same as if you dropped it into a mailbox.  There is no way to retrieve it and make changes.  The IRS was only going to process stimulus payments until January 15.  But that changed and now they are processing stimulus payments until February 5.

What happened to you is happening to many people.  If your return should be rejected when the IRS starts accepting returns on February 12, then you can make changes and refile.

If it is accepted, then the IRS will have a procedure to reslove this.  We do not yet know what they will involve.  

The direct deposit is your money and there is nothing you need to do unless you are contacted by the IRS for information.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies