Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my 1099misc in March 2019 after filling my taxes due to it's late arrival. When or am I receiving anything back? If so, how long will it take to get here?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I filed my 1099misc in March 2019 after filling my taxes due to it's late arrival. When or am I receiving anything back? If so, how long will it take to get here?

What do you mean by that?  Did you amend your tax return and mail in a Form 1040X?  Unless you did that, you did not send anything.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You must file one tax return, listing all your income, deductions, and credits for the year, and calculating your overall tax owed.

If you filed a tax return that was missing some income, and then received an extra 1099-MISC, then the only way to proceed is to prepare and file an amended tax return.  An amended return is a complete new tax return will all forms and schedules containing the corrected information, plus a copy of form 1040X which is a cover page that summarizes the changes.  Amended federal returns must be printed and mailed, they can't be e-filed.  (Some amended state returns can be e-filed, however.)

If you added income, it is likely that you owed more tax, and would have to repay part of your refund when you filed the amended return.

(By the way, you are supposed to keep track of all your income and report and pay taxes on all your income, even if you don't get a 1099 form.  If you did report this income as part of your self-employment, then you don't have to amend when you get the form.  If you didn't report the income until you got the form, you were basically trying to cheat on your taxes.)

Now, if you did prepare an amended return, owed tax, and mailed the amended return with a check, you are done.  The IRS doesn't send receipts.

If you prepared an amended return and thought it would be e-filed, print it now, sign it, and mail it to the IRS, along with a check if you owe taxes.

If you changed the information in your online account, and printed a new return but not an amended return, the IRS probably threw it out.  You could not have e-filed a second return from the online account.  You also should never change the information in your online account after you file, unless you specifically click the "Amend" box to start the amending process.  If you changed your online account but did not amend, then you need to un-do all the changes (if you can), THEN click the amend button, THEN make the changes, print your amended return, and mail it to the IRS, probably with a check for extra taxes owed.  The amending instructions are linked below.

If you are really using Turbotax SE Live, contact your Live support agent for help, you might as well use the service you paid for.

Amend https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies