Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed an amended return (two weeks before deadline) and now shows return, do I still need to pay the taxes owed from the initial return?

My original return showed me taxes due but my amended return gave me a tax return. I had direct deposit filled in. Do I have to pay the original amount (I guess it will be pulled from my account) and wait for the return or, considering the payment deadline is close, can I file for an extension and avoid paying the original amount somehow?

The amount due is not insignificant so it would be great not have to pay it even if I get it back eventually.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I filed an amended return (two weeks before deadline) and now shows return, do I still need to pay the taxes owed from the initial return?

On an amended return it assumes you paid your original taxes due.  Then the amended return calculates the new information you entered to come up with a refund or additional taxes owed.

You need to see if Line 16 of your amended return shows the taxes from your original return.  If that is showing then you still owe that amount.  The amended return is processed separate from your original return. Also, an amended return takes longer to process.

You need to pay what you owe by April 18th to avoid a penalty and interest.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

On an amended return it assumes you paid your original taxes due.  Then the amended return calculates the new information you entered to come up with a refund or additional taxes owed.

You need to see if Line 16 of your amended return shows the taxes from your original return.  If that is showing then you still owe that amount.  The amended return is processed separate from your original return. Also, an amended return takes longer to process.

You need to pay what you owe by April 18th to avoid a penalty and interest.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies