Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I enters the wrong routing number and my return got deposited how do I change that so it gets deposited in my account?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I enters the wrong routing number and my return got deposited how do I change that so it gets deposited in my account?

If you e-filed:

Banking information for direct deposit is wrong or closed

If you entered incorrect banking information for your refund, you can change it if your return is rejected.  If it is accepted, however, it is too late to change it.  The bank will reject the refund and send it back to the IRS.  Then the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to the address you put on your tax return.  Expect a delay of at least a couple of weeks to receive your refund.

Here is what the IRS says about entering incorrect banking information

https://www.irs.gov/help-resources/tools-faqs/faqs-for-individuals/frequently-asked-tax-questions-an...

If your refund is sent back to the IRS—- make certain that the address you entered on your Form 1040 is correct.  And…open all mail, even if it looks like junk mail.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If your refund has been deposited in someone else's bank account, it's too late to change the bank information that you entered on your tax return. You should contact the bank, explain the error, and ask the bank if they will help you recover the money. If the bank won't help, you will have to consult a lawyer.

The IRS and the bank followed your instructions and deposited your refund in the account that you designated on your tax return. They are not at fault, and they are not obligated to correct your error.

See the following page on the IRS web site, particularly the third bullet under Scenario and the fourth (last) bullet under Solution.

What should I do if I entered an incorrect routing or account number for direct deposit of my refund...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies