Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I earned income in the USA, reported it to the IRS and CRA, and ended up paying taxes twice. Can I get a refund from the USA?

I filed taxes in USA and got a refund. I filed taxes in Canada and had to pay additional tax amount for reporting foreign income. Will I be able get additional refund from the US tax return? I am a Canadian resident for tax purposes.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I earned income in the USA, reported it to the IRS and CRA, and ended up paying taxes twice. Can I get a refund from the USA?

It will depend upon the type of return filed in the US.  If you are a citizen and are required to file taxes in the United States, you should be able to claim the foreign tax credit on your US tax return when you prepare it for any income that is taxed both in the US and Canada.  Please see this link for additional information on the foreign tax credit.

If you have already filed your tax return, you will need to amend your return to claim the foreign tax credit.  Please see the following links to guide you through this process.

How to amend your return

How to claim the foreign tax credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your prompt and detailed response. I appreciate your guidance on claiming the foreign tax credit. Just to clarify, I am an Indian citizen residing in Canada. Are there any additional points or concerns I should be aware of while filing the tax amendment?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If you are a resident of Canada and filed in the US to report your income earned here, then you may need to amend your Canadian return instead.  I'd recommend using the Canadian TurboTax Community forum here to request assistance as it directly relates to your circumstances.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies