Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I don't work and I filed for stimulus payment for me and my 9 year old son. I did direct deposit. I only got 1200 not 1700. Why didn't I get the extra 500? What can I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

I don't work and I filed for stimulus payment for me and my 9 year old son. I did direct deposit. I only got 1200 not 1700. Why didn't I get the extra 500? What can I do?

If you did not the $500 for your dependent son now, you will get it when you will file your 2020 tax return next year.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The reply said I will get my sons $500 credit in 2020. I don't file taxes so how will I get it if I don't file taxes. I don't work and don't make money to file.  

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

You can file a return in 2020 just to get the stimulus.

@jamob1980

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

- please review the tax return that you filed as a non-filer

then, ,look at where their names are listed on the return.  OVER TO THE RIGHT in column 4, there is a check mark in either the column marked "child tax credit" or "other dependent tax credit". 

if the check is under "child tax credit", then it's an IRS error.   IRS FAQ:   a letter about the Payment will be mailed to each recipient’s last known address within 15 days after the Payment is made. The letter will provide information on how the Payment was made and how to report any failure to receive the Payment.  

It will have this phone number listed: 800-919-9835

if the check is under "other dependent tax credit" and the child is under 17, then there is something you did incorrectly when answering the questions when the form was filled out.  Any way to go back and see what may have been answered incorrectly.  Suggest having someone watch over your shoulder.  Post back what you find and we can go from there. 

Thank you for replying. Yes it has child tax credit marked. And the questionnaire in the beginning said you should expect $1700 stimulus payment. His social is correct. So im not sure why I didn't get it. I will have to wait for the letter to come. Thank you again for your reply. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies