Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn't realize that I overpaid social security in 2022 (multiple employers). How do file an amended return in turbotax to add this schedule 3 line 11??

My CPA said I should file an amended return to correct this but I don't see the option in Turbotax.  Help
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I didn't realize that I overpaid social security in 2022 (multiple employers). How do file an amended return in turbotax to add this schedule 3 line 11??

If you entered all your W2s right Turbo Tax would have automatically given you the excess Social Security.  Double check your 2022 return.  

For 2022.  You get excess SS back if you had more than 1 employer and those employers took out more than the max for Social Security tax in W2 box 4.  For 2022 the max for Social Security is $9,114.00 on $147,000 of wages (147,000 x 6.2%).  And it is for each spouse separately if married.  Check 1040 Schedule 3 line 11 which goes to 1040 line 31.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Did you use TurboTax to prepare and file your original return?   If so, follow the instructions here to amend your tax return.    But first, make sure you need to amend.  If you used TurboTax and entered multiple w-2 and had excess Social Security withheld, the credit would have been automatically applied and put on Schedule 3, Line 11 of Form 1040.   Check your 2022 return before you amend.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies