Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did not include my charitable contributions on my 2023 refund after I submitted it. How can I make that correction and will it change my taxes owed?

Ii made about 50k and gave about 5300.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I did not include my charitable contributions on my 2023 refund after I submitted it. How can I make that correction and will it change my taxes owed?

Depends if you took the Standard Deduction or itemized deductions on schedule A.  How much is on 1040 line 12?  And if it puts you over the Standard Deduction only the amount that puts you over the standard deduction helps. But it's not a 1:1 reduction. It only reduces your tax by your tax rate. So if you are in the 25% tax bracket a $100 deduction will reduce the tax by $25. 

For 2023 the standard deduction amounts are:
Single 13,850 + 1,850 or 65 and over or blind
HOH 20,800 + 1,850 for 65 and over or blind
Joint 27,700+ 1,500 for each 65 and over or blind
Married filing Separate 13,850 + 1,500 for 65 and over or blind

You have to wait.  If your efile rejects you can add it and resend your return.  If your return is Accepted, you need to wait for it to be fully processed and you get the first refund. Then you can Amend.

How to Amend the current year
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies