Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nathan096

I checked the wrong account type on my tax refund. What will happen?

After filing my tax return, I noticed that under the direct deposit section, I checked the wrong account type (checking/savings).
The account and routing number are correct, but instead of putting the actual account type (savings), I selected "checking."
What will happen?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ddaven12

As long as the routing and account numbers match up with your name it will usually be deposited.

The only exception to this would be the operating procedures of your bank, which in general will accept it and process it as normal. In the event that your deposit is rejected by your bank, it would then be returned to the Department of the Treasury and a check issued instead. To be on the safe side you could always contact your bank and inform them of the issue.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ddaven12

As long as the routing and account numbers match up with your name it will usually be deposited.

The only exception to this would be the operating procedures of your bank, which in general will accept it and process it as normal. In the event that your deposit is rejected by your bank, it would then be returned to the Department of the Treasury and a check issued instead. To be on the safe side you could always contact your bank and inform them of the issue.

I had the same issue, thank you for the info.

Me, too. Thank you for the info. It made me feel better.

To the folks who had this issue,  were your funds deposited with no issue?
daysoff1

I did the same thing.  I thought for sure I had checked the checking account box, but later I saw that the savings account box had been checked.  I called my bank(Chase), and they said as long as the routing and account number were correct, the refund would be deposited normally!  If you did this, don't lose any sleep over it like I did. 🙂

How did all of you receive the refund last year as I did it this year and my bank is being a butt about it saying that I will just get a check. But how much longer do I have to wait for it to get here now? Did you still get it to bank accounts? I just wonder what I am looking at if my bank is erroring on the side of safety.

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

The IRS will send a paper check if the DD is rejected, but there isn't a guaranteed time in how long this will take. If your refund is taking an exceptionally long time refer to the source provided below for further information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/what-if-my-irs-refund-is-taking-longer-than-21-... 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies