Jsgirl3

I amended my return over 4 months ago and still haven't received my refund. how long should it take ?

DanPaul02

No one knows.  The IRS is so far behind that it could take months or years.  You can call them and ask if they can give you any updates.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1