Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dmetroro

I amended my FedTaxReturn but isn't processed yet. IRS asked me to pay the amount + late penalty I will save with amended return. Should I pay amount until it's resolved?

I want to avoid paying penalties but there is no way to contact IRS to let them know that the amended return should make up the difference. What should I do: 1) Just wait until the amended return is processed (and risk more penalties) or 2) pay the amount now and get a refund much later. The amended return takes as much as 15 weeks to process.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I amended my FedTaxReturn but isn't processed yet. IRS asked me to pay the amount + late penalty I will save with amended return. Should I pay amount until it's resolved?

Yes, You have to pay the first tax due.  Then the amended return will only be the difference you get back or need to pay. You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 21 should be your additional refund. If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16 (but don't include any penalty on 1040 line 38). If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

And amended returns are taking 20 weeks or more to process.  

IRS Amended returns, FAQs
https://www.irs.gov/filing/amended-return-frequently-asked-questions

It says…… The current processing time is more than 20 weeks for both paper and electronically filed amended returns

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies