I am trying to do a refund for my dads state taxes but it is telling me that the order number is in the wrong format. How do i fix it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KarenB1

Control Number (Box D) is used by many payroll departments to uniquely identify a W-2 in their system. If your W-2 doesn't have one, it's no big deal – you can simply leave it blank.

If you get errors when attempting to e-file with an empty Box D, just enter any number in this format: 5 digits, space, 5 digits (for example, 12345 67890). The IRS doesn't care what's in Box D because its use by payroll departments is optional.

On the other hand, if you're trying to import your W-2 and you are asked for a Control Box D, and you don’t have one, click skip import and then manually enter your W-2. You won't be able to import using the 5 digit + space + 5 digit solution for e-filing.