Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am amending my 2021 tax return. I will be getting a refund. How can I do direct deposit for the amended return? TT is only allowing it to be mailed.

The IRS now allows for direct deposit of amended return refunds. Why won't TT let me do that? Is there a way?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Expert Alumni

I am amending my 2021 tax return. I will be getting a refund. How can I do direct deposit for the amended return? TT is only allowing it to be mailed.

Yes, the IRS allows for direct deposit of amended returns starting with 2023, and that they also said you can file as far back as 2021 with direct deposit, but TurboTax hasn't added that to the 2021 software.

You will need to get a paper check, or use a different option to file your 2021 amended tax return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

direct deposit is not available for amended returns. Its the iRS not Turbotax

The TurboTax software for tax year 2021 does not support direct deposit of tax refund for a 2021 amended tax return, Form 1040-X.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, the IRS allows for direct deposit of amended returns starting with 2023, and that they also said you can file as far back as 2021 with direct deposit, but TurboTax hasn't added that to the 2021 software.

You will need to get a paper check, or use a different option to file your 2021 amended tax return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok, thanks for the answer. I figured that since I paid for the 2023 edition that it would be able to accommodate the direct deposit on the 2021 amended return given that the IRS is allowing it back to 2021. It should work that way, but whatever... I'll just have it mailed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies