Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I already have my netspend card. how do i load it? its telling me they will send one to me,i already got it?!?

I cannot see what screen you are looking at, but if it's asking  you to choose between "direct deposit" or the "TurboTax Prepaid Debit Card" you recently applied for, then if you wish to use your pre-existing prepaid debit card instead, you would choose "direct deposit" and then customize it.  A deposit onto a pre-existing prepaid debit card IS a direct deposit because it uses an underlying bank routing and account number.

See these instructions on how to set up direct deposit to a pre-existing prepaid debit card:

First, make sure your pre-existing prepaid debit card is still valid and active.  Then get your card's underlying bank account and routing numbers specific for your card.   Either contact your card's Customer Service, or log into your online card account to verify the card is still good and to get the banking numbers.  Be sure you have the right bank account and routing numbers for your card.  They will differ from the card number shown on the card.   Do not use the number on the card.

Ask your card's Customer Service if they accept a direct deposit of tax refunds from the IRS.  Some prepaid debit cards might not, or may have limits on the amount that can be deposited from a tax refund.  You can ask your card's Customer Service about that, or perhaps there is information on that topic in the FAQs on your card's website.

When the TurboTax program asks you how you want to get your Federal refund, choose "direct deposit".  You will enter the bank account and routing numbers specific to your card, and indicate that it is a "checking" account.

You'll also need to know and enter the name of the underlying bank that the routing and account numbers were for.   Ask your Card's Customer Service or check the FAQs on their website.

I already have my netspend card. how do i load it? its telling me they will send one to me,i already got it?!?

I would like to use my netspend account 

What is my next step maam

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You can use your NetSpend account as long as you have the account number and routing number for direct deposit. If you do not have it, you will need to contact NetSpend. 

You would then enter the information in the direct deposit information on your return. @1bammafan

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Here's a couple of more tips:

1bammafan:

Be sure not to use the card account number that is shown on the card.  That's not the same as the bank deposit account underlying your card. See @ CarissaM answer above.

And in addition to entering the bank account and routing numbers specific to your card, you'll need to indicate when asked in TurboTax that it is a "checking" account (it's considered that for the purpose of direct deposit).

You'll also need to know and enter the name of the underlying bank that the routing and account numbers were for.   Ask your Card's Customer Service or check the FAQs on their website.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies