Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I already filed my dad's tax return, he claimed me as a dependent). In 2023, I got W2 around 17k. Should I file my own tax? and does it affect my dad's tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I already filed my dad's tax return, he claimed me as a dependent). In 2023, I got W2 around 17k. Should I file my own tax? and does it affect my dad's tax return?

It might affect him if he can't claim you.  How old are you?  Are you a full time student?  

Yes you have to file your own return.  Be sure on your return you check the box that says you can be claimed on someone else’s return.  If your only income is W2 and under 13,850 you do not have to file a return except to get back any withholding taken out.

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will need to file your own tax return because your income exceeds the requirements listed in this FAQ. It doesn't affect your dad's return if you entered yourself as a his dependent and he was qualified to list you as his dependent. 

Check here to see if your dad was qualified to claim you as his dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies