Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I accidently filed and paid for a FL state return that wasn't necessary, now it's stating ready to mail but have nothing to send

I was going through the website to file my federal taxes, then when it got to the state section, it let me initially skip. The website then stated I needed to review my state taxes. I live in FL and have no rental property or businesses. I started it and selected no when it asked me if I needed a tax form or had owned businesses or rentals. From there it directed me to pay the $59 for the Federal but when I entered my card info and selected pay, it charged me $59 for federal and $59 for state of which I never intended nor needed to file. I created a ticket to attempt and recover my state filing fee of the $59 but now that my federal was accepted, it's showing on the FL state that it's ready to mail. When I look at the tax form though and scroll down to state there is nothing there, it's blank, only instructions for what I need to keep and special formatting but blank below that. When I try to amend my taxes and delete FL on the state portion, it only lets me start over and automatically asks me the same thing about do I need a tax form and business when I hit no, it adds FL back. Only option is delete the state, then it auto starts over or cancel and it leaves FL in there. If I am out the $59 what is it I will need to file for the state or just not mail anything in? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I accidently filed and paid for a FL state return that wasn't necessary, now it's stating ready to mail but have nothing to send

FLORIDA

Florida does not have a state income tax.   You should have skipped the FL tax unless you own rental property  in FL or a FL based business.

Florida has a  tangible personal property tax form that is used in a Florida-located business or rental property and is filed with the county property appraiser by April 1st. 

If you do need to file a Form DR-405, nothing will print (except an instruction sheet) unless assets were transferred or you manually entered assets in the DR-405 worksheet. 

If you do not have tangible personal property to report, choose   Skip State   in the   State Taxes   section.

If you proceeded past the warning screens, try deleting the Florida return --> https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900608

If you actually already paid for an unnecessary FL return:

No one in the user forum can resolve a billing issue.  If you have a question about your TurboTax fees or billing, make sure you use the word “billing” in your request for help.  Do not use the word “refund.”

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I didn’t notice that I am aware of any warning that populated as I thought I hit skip. However,  when I try to go to the amend option and select the trash can to delete the FL state. It auto redirects me to either select cancel or start over. If I hit cancel it takes me back to showing FL completed. If I hit start over it just repeats to say your state taxes look good and continue. It’s not physically letting me delete it either when I go to forms and see FL listed it says can not delete. I already paid the state filing fee $59 by mistake. I just do not want to get into trouble for not sending anything in since there is nothing to send in. As stated I have no personal business or rental properties. I’m just trying to not get in trouble with the state for not sending anything in.  

There is literally nothing to send.  You are not going to get into trouble.  If you paid the $59, seek a refund by using the link you were given.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Ok thank you for confirming. I just didn’t want to end up being in trouble with the state for accidentally filing, not my intent, even though there isn’t anything to send in. I also contacted customer service who created a case or ticket to attempt and recover the state filing fee. Hopefully the customer service will be able to resolve it. Thank you for helping and making me feel more at ease. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies