Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tk01kj
Returning Member

How to get refund on Turbotax federal/state tax return fees if accountant screwed up, no wages this year, earned tax credit?

Because TurboTax tax accountant screwed up on my state return a couple years ago, my state tried collecting over $7k in taxes, interests and penalties, and fees (credit card and tax related) because TurboTax did not file the state part year resident return correctly. There was a lot of stress, fees this has caused me and it took me 8 months to get that money back. TurboTax has a 100% no surprises and accuracy guarantee and I think it is very fair that I get a full refund of all fees I paid TurboTax for filing my tax return, including interest from VA that the tax department was not able to refund me. Can I escalate to chargeback to get that money back from TurboTax or proceed to small claims court? How do I proceed with this?

If I had no income for 2022 aside from unemployment, but I had over $180k in income in 2021 and over $250k in 2020, is there any way I can shift the earned income from prior year to 2022 so I can decrease total tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

How to get refund on Turbotax federal/state tax return fees if accountant screwed up, no wages this year, earned tax credit?

See this TurboTax support FAQ for submitting a claim under the 100% Accurate Calculation Guarantee - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/intuit-account-billing/submit-claim-turb...

tk01kj
Returning Member

Do you have the same info for HR Block policy? I didn't file the tax return myself, an accountant at the HR Block filed for me.

tk01kj
Returning Member

Isn't there also another guarantee if I'm able to file another tax return using a different platform (FreeTaxUSA) and the tax refund there is significnatly more than using HR Block or TurboTax, then TurboTax would also refund me the full tax filing fee of $180-200? This is also my second question

Also what about if income is significantly less in 2022 than 2020/2021, to the point it is less than $20k income, what options do I have for tax credit?

@tk01kj wrote:

Do you have the same info for HR Block policy? I didn't file the tax return myself, an accountant at the HR Block filed for me.

TurboTax would not have any information whatsoever about the filed tax return if your tax return was completed and filed using another tax preparation service.

@tk01kj wrote:

Isn't there also another guarantee if I'm able to file another tax return using a different platform (FreeTaxUSA) and the tax refund there is significnatly more than using HR Block or TurboTax, then TurboTax would also refund me the full tax filing fee of $180-200? This is also my second question

Also what about if income is significantly less in 2022 than 2020/2021, to the point it is less than $20k income, what options do I have for tax credit?

This is the INTUIT TERMS OF SERVICE FOR TURBOTAX ONLINE TAX PREPARATION SERVICES - https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/license/online/

Scroll down to the section labeled 4. GUARANTEES and read the heading (b) Maximum Refund (or Tax Savings) Guarantee or Your Money Back.

There are no tax credits on the current year tax return if your income is lower than the prior year tax return.

@tk01kj - you can not shift the income (nor the tax) from one year to the next in an effort to smooth the earnings and the resulting tax bracket.... it simply does not work that way.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies