Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to get amended data in early year propagated thru following years? Will re-import mess up existing data? I need to amend Schedule E and related form from year 2020 on

The amended data in Schedule E, Passive Activity Loss Limitation for ty2020 need to reflect in its following years before I amend each year. Can I manually update imported data without messing up existing data that have been filed?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How to get amended data in early year propagated thru following years? Will re-import mess up existing data? I need to amend Schedule E and related form from year 2020 on

Sorry you have to start each year amended return with the original return that was file so you can't transfer the prior amended return in.  You will have to manually make the changes each year.  Be sure to first save each year's .tax  file before you amend and then save it as a new name so the amended return is in a different file.  

Thanks for your reply. After amending TY2020, I've tried to amend TY2021 after backing up. But TurboTax

would not allow me to overwrite the "prior year Unallowed Loss" in Form 8582 Passive Activity Loss Limitations Part IV. The "Edit->Override" choice is greyed out. How do I work around? If this is not the place to override, then where can I do it? Thanks!  BTW, I need to do this operation for 3 consecutive years.

I've done one test by importing the amended 2021 into another new file for 2022 and tried to modify the imported data as a solution suggested in another thread. But the "File->Remove Imported Data" choice is 

also greyed out. 

I am waiting for someone in Intuit to give me an answer. I need to be able to modify the imported data

in order to resolve this "Branching and Merging" issue for tax data that is carried over from previous year: 

Prior Year Unallowed Loss. 

I just hope that I don't have to do these amendment on paper forms and cannot continue using

TurboTax to file future tax returns. 

Hoping for the best!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies