Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LNK
Returning Member

How to correct W-2 box 12 issue from TSP contributions

My W2 says I overcontributed to my TSP Roth IRA. I did not over contribute though and my leave and earnings statements and TSP records both show I did not overcontribute. How do I correct this? Can I enter the correct amount in box 12 of my W2 in Turbo Tax? I cannot figure out who I am supposed to contact as I am no longer active duty military and the finance office says they do not issue W2s. I don't see an option to enter a W-2 C and I don't have one anyways. Not sure how to proceed. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can enter the correct amount in Box 12. Keep your leave and earnings statements with your tax return documents just in case if the IRS contacts you regarding the discrepancy.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
LNK
Returning Member

Thank you. So just for clarification, I don't need at W-2C before I can change the amount in box 12 as long as I have the leave and earning statements that show I did not overcontribute?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can change the amount in box 12 that you enter into TurboTax and that will not change anything.  That action simply eliminates the notification.  The IRS has already received the W2 that you have a copy of.  If the box 12 amount actually shows an over contribution through that one employer, then the taxable amount is likely in your wages (box 1) already.  

Here is a link with more information on the topic. 

You will likely get a form 1099R for 2024 that shows the excess contribution and earnings was distributed to you.  Assuming the distribution is/was done before 15 Apr (which if the employer noted on your W2 already, that indicates it was done) you will avoid any early withdrawal penalty, however taxes will be due on any earnings on that excess contribution.  This will be handled when you enter the 1099R information for your 2024 tax return.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies