shadypalmtree

How to avoid owing state taxes?

I just filed my taxes and I owed almost $300 to my state but was also receiving a federal refund. I'm not exactly sure how that is exactly, but I would like to avoid that for next year. Last year I owed $2 and I thought it was an honest mistake, this was a huge sideline for me. Is there something specific that I should be doing on the tax forms for my job/jobs?

How to avoid owing state taxes?

Have your employer withhold more state tax from your paychecks.

shadypalmtree

How to avoid owing state taxes?

It's my work-study/university job that seems to have the issue. I always put 1 as my allowance, never anything more. Though I do suspect that my allowance was 0 for a good chunk of the year. They should be allowed to take out the maximum in taxes, so I'm completely unsure of how they are not able to.