Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

how to amend form 8606



I accidentally reported a $1000 non deductible contribution to an IRA using form 8606 whereas the correct amount is $3000. How can I correct it? Since it is a nondeductible contribution it did not impact the AGI and the tax refund. Should I file a 1040X form and add the corrected 8606 form? Or should I just send form 8606 without form 1040X?

If I need to file form 1040X should I also file line 1 to 15 (none of the amounts changed anyway)? My turbotax auto generated 1040X  only filed line 16  ($0), 18 and 19.

Thank you for your help!

2 Replies
Level 15

how to amend form 8606

You do not send a 1040X unless you have another reason to amend.  The 8606 is a standalone form that can be mailed by itself. 


You can download a blank form here:

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
New Member

how to amend form 8606

Thank you so much.

I will fill an amended form 8606 and explain in a cover letter this is because in the original 8606 form I filled a1000 non deductible contribution instead of 3000.


Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings