Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to amend federal tax return but not state

Hi, I am working to understand how best to do the following in Turbotax.....

Background:

• I created my federal return and my state return in Turbotax in February
  • I e-filed my federal return in February (since I am due a refund) and it was accepted by the IRS
  • I did not file my state tax yet (which I plan to print and mail by USPS closer to 5/17/21 as I owe additional tax)

What I want to do:

• I need to amend my federal return as I have now made some prior year contributions to my HSA, which will yield an additional refund
  • I want to file a single state return that incorporates all of the information from my original and amended federal return

It looks to me like Turbotax has assumed that I have already filed my state return and that I need to amend my state return now that the federal return has been amended.  Since I don't want to amend my state tax return, I used a test file and deleted my state return, amended my federal return, and created a new state return.  However, Turbotax wants to know information about my original state return (such as amount of tax owed or refunded) but again, I do not want to amend my state return as it has not been filed as yet.

I contacted my state tax agency and they confirmed that there is no need for me to file two state returns (original and amended) to align with the federal filings, and that I could simply file one state return that incorporates all of the information on the two federal returns.

I would appreciate any recommendations anyone might have about how I can make this work in Turbotax.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

To update my own post... after two separate unsuccessful support calls to TurboTax, I have decided to file my state tax aligned with my initial federal filing.  Then, I will file an amended federal return, followed by an amended state return. 

In the end, it clearly appears that TurboTax works in such a way that an amended state return is generated when an amended federal return is generated, so it was easier to just file four times rather than three.

jena03

This was almost my exact situation. I will do the same as you have done. I will file my original (incorrect) state return, and in another week file both amended returns. This was an extremely exasperating experience! Thanks so much for your explicit explanation, and real help.

I am glad it was helpful to you.  I found the live TurboTax help staff to be very cordial and willing to help, but I was asking a software 'architecture' question ("will TT allow me to file one state return from an original and amended federal return") but their expertise lay more in showing me how to navigate the screens ("just uncheck the state return on the filing screen") which was not responsive to my question.

In the end, and since time was running out, I followed the path the software was forcing me down.

Almost in the same situation. Going to do what you described. 

As I am paper filing my state return do you think I need to resend the all the W2s and 1099 again with the amennded state return 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to mail all the paperwork, w2, 1099, etc forms. Only the tax forms, no worksheets.

@goBonkers_123

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies