Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long will it take to amend my taxes

I accidentally claimed my daughter as a dependent and filed when her father was suppose to do it on his taxes, if I amend it today will it let him file her this year?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, but he is going to have to paper file.  Do not wait for your amendment to be processed as it can take up to 16 weeks to process amended returns.  So, it is highly unlikely that your amendment will be processed before tax filing season is over.  

The way it works is that even though her SSN is still on your return, when he paper files, the IRS will still process his return and pay any refund.  Right now, the SSN being on your return will cause an automatic rejection in the e-file system.  After they process his return, they will contact both of you to rectify the situation.  But, by that time, your amended return should be processed. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, but he is going to have to paper file.  Do not wait for your amendment to be processed as it can take up to 16 weeks to process amended returns.  So, it is highly unlikely that your amendment will be processed before tax filing season is over.  

The way it works is that even though her SSN is still on your return, when he paper files, the IRS will still process his return and pay any refund.  Right now, the SSN being on your return will cause an automatic rejection in the e-file system.  After they process his return, they will contact both of you to rectify the situation.  But, by that time, your amended return should be processed. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies