Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long does it usually take for an amendment to be processed? I did mine 8 weeks ago and it still says accepted.

Turbo Tax notified me that I needed to file an amendment due to the new unemployment credit so I did but then I read an article that said the irs was automatically adjusting those credits so now I'm worried I messed things up for myself.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How long does it usually take for an amendment to be processed? I did mine 8 weeks ago and it still says accepted.

In normal times amended returns take 4 to 6 months to process thru   but these are not normal times  right now and some have taken much much longer.  

Because of the huge IRS backlog due to COVID, amended returns are currently taking about 6 months to process.    The IRS will automatically adjust for the unemployment and send a check in the next 2-3 months - probably long before the amended return is processed.   If the IRS sends a check then they will not pay it again.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies