turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How long does it take to receive a refund after faxing form 8962 and 1095a?

Good evening. I am hoping to find some answers here on this forum. I filled my 2022 taxes back in Jan 2023. My taxes were accepted on 1/25. I received letter 12C on 2/15 and faxed all completed forms on 2/17 and again on 2/19. I called 3 times the following week to check if my forms had been received and received no answer. 

Because I am facing a hardship I also called for a tax advocate. I received a call from my tax advocate around 3/3, I emailed forms 8962 and 1095a to my tax advocate. I received a reply on 3/10.23 that all forms were received and nothing else is needed. 

I have since been trying to get an update of the status and have not been able to get in contact with my tax advocate. I am so behind on bills and just need to know how much longer the process will take. 

When logging in to view my transcript the message "your taxes has not been processed" shows up. Also the WMR site has not changed from "it is taking a bit longer to process your taxes...." 

Could anyone, who has been in this situation tell me how long it will take to receive a DD? I know worst case scenario is 120 days (6/21/23), but I am praying for a better outcome. 

I thank you all in advance for any replies. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If you received a Letter 12C from the IRS asking for additional forms such as Form 1095-A and Form 8962, and you’re due a refund, they normally expect to send it about 6-8 weeks after they receive your response. See this IRS webpage for more information.

If you contacted and already received a reply from the Taxpayer Advocate's office that they received your information on 3-10-23, one week ago, the extent to which they could expedite your refund may depend on the staffing level at that office.

If you are experiencing financial hardship, the IRS might be able to manually process your refund to get it to you sooner. Request an expedited refund by calling the IRS at 800-829-1040 (TTY/TDD 800-829-4059). You may experience extended hold times or requests to call back during filing season.

• Explain your hardship situation; and
  • Request a manual refund expedited to you.

The IRS will likely request documentation of your financial hardship such as copies of shutoff notices, eviction or foreclosure notices, etc., as well as other supporting information like a copy of your tax return with the refund claim.  Respond promptly to the IRS’s request.

The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers and protects taxpayers’ rights. They can offer you help if your tax problem is causing financial difficulty, you’ve tried and been unable to resolve your issue with the IRS, or you believe an IRS system, process, or procedure just isn’t working as it should. If you qualify for their assistance, which is always free,

visit www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov or call 1-877-777-4778.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Good afternoon 

Thank you for your reply. 

I wanted to correct something. My forms were received on 2/21/2023 per my tax advocate.  My last contact with  my tax advocate was on 3/10/2023. This was an update contact to let me know everything was received on the given dates and it's being worked on. 

I called the IRS prior about. my hardship which is why they assigned me the tax advocate. I am wondering how much longer it will take until everything is processed and submitted for a refund? I'm just about over even calling the IRS as they have scripted lines and can't help much either. I'm all out of options at this point and still trying to buy time with my Landlord. 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

First,  just a FYI, TurboTax and IRS are separate entities and TurboTax does not receive any status or updates about your account once it is filed.  Privacy Laws prevent IRS from sharing information with TurboTax.  At this point in your process, the IRS is the only agency that can assist.  Please refer all future inquiries to the IRS.

On another note, The Taxpayer Advocacy Office is also experiencing delays in processing.  It may take months to resolve your issue but I suggest you keep in touch frequently with your Taxpayer Advocate.

@CaTAXtrophe2023

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies