Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How I submit an amended return for an EV with a binding contract before IRA went into effect, but just now recieved delivery?

I tried to fill out the form and when I input the purchase date (July 2022) and the delivery date Dec 2023, the program gives me an error.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How I submit an amended return for an EV with a binding contract before IRA went into effect, but just now recieved delivery?

The credit goes on the 2023 return ... the year you took possession.  The fact that you ordered the car in 2022 is immaterial ... you could have cancelled the contract up until you drove it off the lot.    

I don't believe you are correct.  The delivery date for the vehicle is considered to be 8/15/2022 under the provisions of the Inflation Reduction Act.  The vehicle in question would not qualify under the IRA rules, but their is a provision in that act that allows people who had a binding contract in place for an EV that qualified under the prior rebate structure to claim that rebate based on the law that was in effect the day prior to the signing of the IRA. 

Thus the rebate has to be applied as a 2022 Amended Tax return as the law under which the rebate is being filed for only existed until 8/15/2022.  After 8/16/2022, the requirements of the IRA are in force (which includes US content/manufacturing requirements and has income limiations on who is eleible for the tax rebate). 

I do not believe the guidance provided by Critter3 is correct.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies