Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I upload an existing Tax Return document to the on-line system?

I already filed my return with the desktop application, but need to update the filing for  new 1099 that arrived late. Unfortunately this is a notoriously broken feature for Mac users and Intuit Support directed me to upload the return and make the modification. (They gave me a code to allow me to file the online version for free.) I'm logged into my account but don't see an option to bring the existing return into the system.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

See this thread. Might have some work arounds.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/blank-screen/00/3224366

Or one thing you can do is to find a Windows computer to switch to. Then you can move your Mac return to Windows without starting over.  Then you might be able to efile the amended return.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

I am sorry support gave you bad information.  There is no way to do that with MAC or Windows.

Why can't you use the Desktop program to amend?  You need to start with the original filed return.  You should not amend until the first return has fully processed and you get the first refund or your tax due payment has cleared.  

You start by just opening your return as usual. Go up to File-Open.  You need to have the .tax2023  file on your computer. 

Also you first need to check the filing status inside the program so it knows it was filed and accepted.  Open your return and go up to the top black menu bar first item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then save your return and close it.  Close the program and reopen it.  

If you don't see a button for Need to Amend a Filed Return? on your home screen then you can get to it here. Go to:
Federal Taxes -or- Personal (for H&B)
Other Tax Situations
last section, Other Tax Forms
Amend A Return - Click the Start or Update button

Because it’s broken. It’s a known defect that as soon as you select entry for a new 1099 you get an unrecoverable blank screen.

Oh  yes, I have seen  posts about blank screens in Mac.  What kind of 1099?  Maybe you can enter it using Forms mode.  

Otherwise to use the Online version you would have to start a new Online return and manually recreate your original filed return and pay for it (use your code).  Then when it matches every line you can amend.  Say you want to mail it and print it out so it thinks you filed it.  How to Amend the current year
https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-federal-tax-return-curr...

You will have to mail the amended return since you didn't efile the original from the Online version.

See this thread. Might have some work arounds.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/blank-screen/00/3224366

Or one thing you can do is to find a Windows computer to switch to. Then you can move your Mac return to Windows without starting over.  Then you might be able to efile the amended return.

Thanks. I was also thinking about using the existing file with a PC. I’ll try that route first.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies