I want to work with the same data as my 2015 return, then make some adjustments to see the tax impact.
You CANNOT/should not use the TTax On-Line version to do any what if scenarios. ANY changes (what-ifs) that you make will be difficult to correct so that you can file the 2016 tax return later.
You have 2 options:
Create a new On-Line account for each 'what-if' that you want to try. In TurboTax Online, you'll have to create a test account separate from your regular TurboTax account and create a test return there. We recommend adding "test" or similar to your User ID so you can easily distinguish it from your actual account.
Buy the Desktop version and install it on your computer --you can download the .tax2015 file from your On-Line return and use it to transfer into your Desktop version. The Desktop version CAN do 'What-If' scenarios.
If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can
In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy:
1. Open your return in TurboTax.
2. From the File menu, choose Save As.
3. Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name).
4. Click Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original.
Or use the WHAT IF tool:
- Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view)
- Click on the Open Form Icon
- In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form
- You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form
- To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1