Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I request a correction on the amount of interest the IRS paid me for a delayed tax return?

I filed my return on 02/10 and it was accepted the same day. It's currently 06/25 and still no return. The IRS website says they pay 8% compounded daily and TurboTax backs that up, adding that the compounding begins if your return hasn't been issued within 45 days of being filed. I finally found my tax refund transcript on the IRS website and see that they plan to issue my refund next week, as well as an interest payment for the delay. But the payment is dramatically less than any calculation I can come up with for 8%, much less 8% compounded daily. How do I get that corrected?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do I request a correction on the amount of interest the IRS paid me for a delayed tax return?

What formula are you using to compute the interest?

No, interest on an unpaid federal tax refund does not accrue 45 days after the return is filed.  The interest accrues 45 days after the tax deadline, which was April 15, 2024.

if you filed on 2/10 and 45 days later is the end of March and the check is being sent out now, let's call that 3 months.  that is 2%  for 3 months.  (8% divided by a quarter of the year).  So the interest should be in and around 2% of the refund. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies