Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I load turbo tax files for my returns from last year. The system files and the return data files are on a different computer.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieM

How do I load turbo tax files for my returns from last year. The system files and the return data files are on a different computer.

The only ways you can locate your return from last year is if you filed on Turbotax Online with the Deluxe version or higher.  They would be saved in your Tax Timeline.  OR if you filed with Turbotax Desktop with the Deluxe version or higher, they would be saved as a PDF file to the hard drive of your computer.  You must make sure you are logged into the account that you were in when you filed as well.  A lot of people have multiple accounts and don't even realize it.  Either they forgot or can't locate their original log in information and so they create another one, which is ok but you just need to access that same account when looking for previous returns.

You can check and see how many accounts you have by clicking this link below:

https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If you still cannot access your prior returns you can always request a free transcript from the IRS for prior year returns.  To do that please click the link below:

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

*Please let us know if you have any further questions, we are happy to help you."

View solution in original post

3 Replies

I simply want 2015 data to automatically carryover to 2016 turbo tax files. will the answer below do this?
JulieM

The only ways you can locate your return from last year is if you filed on Turbotax Online with the Deluxe version or higher.  They would be saved in your Tax Timeline.  OR if you filed with Turbotax Desktop with the Deluxe version or higher, they would be saved as a PDF file to the hard drive of your computer.  You must make sure you are logged into the account that you were in when you filed as well.  A lot of people have multiple accounts and don't even realize it.  Either they forgot or can't locate their original log in information and so they create another one, which is ok but you just need to access that same account when looking for previous returns.

You can check and see how many accounts you have by clicking this link below:

https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If you still cannot access your prior returns you can always request a free transcript from the IRS for prior year returns.  To do that please click the link below:

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

*Please let us know if you have any further questions, we are happy to help you."

In my case, I submitted all my tax information for 2017 but did not file right away. When I went back to the turbotax program to file in November 2018, they had removed the 2017 software. I had to buy  the software and install it on my computer but all my information and hours of tax data were gone. Is there any way to access it if the return wasn't filed yet to avoid manually entering all that data again?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies